Overall Niche Grade
- College ReadinessA+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA+
- Health & SafetyA
- Resources & FacilitiesA+
Henry M. Gunn High School Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+212 Students
- A+185 Students
- A+176 Students
- A+173 Students
- A+169 Students
- A164 Students
- A162 Students
- A+110 Students
- A+89 Students
- A+83 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.25 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.25 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.33 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.43 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on expenses per student, number of sports offered, and student and parent reviews.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.53 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.53 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.53 responses
- Very Good103
The Gunn High campus is incredibly accepting and an altogether caring community. Although I do believe that there is more stress being placed on students in our district (mostly perpetuated by parents and all around popular local culture) than other districts, I know the school is taking steps to assure students that it is okay to not be the absolute best. One of my favorite events at Gunn is Homecoming Week! It is the one week of the year where I can physically see students coming together in the spirit of good-natured fun and teamwork.
- High School Junior
- Jan 2 2016
Located in the center of Silicon Valley and in the same town as Stanford University, Gunn prides itself in academics. At Gunn, I had the opportunity to take high level core classes, along with courses such as automotive technology, art, Spanish, and psychology. I have played on the softball team for four years, an experience which made me a more outgoing person. However, Gunn can be stressful. My sophomore year, Gunn had its second suicide cluster, a tragedy that sparked the administration to change many aspects of the school in an attempt to prevent future suicides. While some of the changes have benefitted students, such as the addition of a center for mental wellbeing, other changes, such as the banning of many school traditions, only served to anger and confuse the student population. Overall, I have had a positive experience at Gunn, a school I believe should not only be known for its academics, but for its message of community and inclusivity that extends to all students.
- 3 months ago
I think that overall the staff at this high school is incredibly qualified. They are all willing to meet with those who are struggling, and very much want to see their students succeed. Even though they want to see all of their students succeed, I do believe that they can be intimidating because of their extensive knowledge of their subjects. Many of the teachers who are passionate about the subject they teach also have very engaging presentations and curriculum, but of course not all schools are perfect and not all teachers are either. Some teachers may speak only from a Powerpoint presentation and read from it, these can be the worst kind of teaching style depending on the type of learner the student might be. Despite their teaching styles, if you put in the work needed for your classes you're bound to succeed, and they truly prepare you for the world outside of High School.
- Niche User
- 7 months ago