Overall Niche Grade
- College ReadinessC+
- Clubs & ActivitiesB+
- Health & SafetyC+
- Resources & FacilitiesA-
James Hillhouse High School Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-80 Students
- A+62 Students
- A-59 Students
- B+55 Students
- B39 Students
- B-37 Students
- C+34 Students
- B34 Students
- B-32 Students
- C+27 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.10 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.10 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.15 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.19 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on expenses per student, number of sports offered, and student and parent reviews.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.23 responses
- Very Good43
James Hill House is a wonderful school despite the surrounding areas. The teachers i can honestly say dont waste time when it comes to teaching if they have a good attitude. If your not paying attention then thats on you and you have to stay after we never spend to much time on one thing. I actually switched High Schools a couple of times. Amistad ,Creed, Hill House. Anyway what needs to change is everyones maturity level. As far as teachers and staff. I seen a teacher argue with a student and the language the staff was useing no wonder that student was ready to fight him. Not only that the security guards and a few teachers need to be re-evaluated. Some come off as perverted. Im being honest through out this whole thing and yes i just started but i pay attention to everything.
- 1 month ago
I could honestly say I love Hillhouse, the school overall gives you a homey environment. Free space to be you're own person and not be judged for it. It's just that you have to have that boldness and courage to show it off. House has many resources and programs available to us students but I feel like most scholars aren't aware of that because the school doesn't advertise all of the programs as much as they should unfortunately.
- 2 months ago
The teaching styles are understandable because they have their own teaching methods but they are also willing to change them a bit for you to understand more. They communicated very well with us because they let us know when we were slacking and what we could do to get back on track. Their consistency in grading was fair enough, your grade was depending on how much work and effort you put in and it wasn't just based off of whether you got the answers right or wrong
- Niche User
- 6 months ago