Overall Niche Grade
- College ReadinessC+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA-
- Health & SafetyC+
- Resources & FacilitiesA
Mays High School Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- Georgia State University254Students
- University of Georgia240Students
- Georgia Southern University164Students
- Spelman College122Students
- Clark Atlanta University114Students
- University of West Georgia112Students
- Kennesaw State University108Students
- Valdosta State University104Students
- Savannah State University83Students
- Emory University70Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.34 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.56 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.56 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.55 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on expenses per student, number of sports offered, and student and parent reviews.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.54 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.54 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.54 responses
- Very Good121
My experience in Mays was fantastic! I had an excited year! I made friends, I got all of my classes, I enjoyed my teachers and I loved talking to them because they make me feel like I know what I must do in the future. The things I would like to change, though, is the dress code. We hardly wear uniforms; we always wear something... not uniform-ish. And also, I would love to change the food lunches. It's not that appetizing. I feel like their need to be better chefs to cook a decent meal. But other than that, I had a great time here.
- 1 month ago
Benjamin E. Mays High School of the Atlanta Public Schools System is a public institution that excels in academics as well as sports. I enjoyed my time there, for the college advisers were receptive to my needs and encouraged me to stay focused in challenging situations. The band program was an extremely beneficial asset to me overall well-roundness as the band director emphasized critical thinking and taught the importance of Bloom's Taxonomy in everyday life.
- 2 months ago
Being a teacher can be challenging because you have to teach ten or more teachers everyday. Some challenges may include confusing the students during a lesson in your class or even students falling asleep in class because the lesson is extremely boring. Whatever the challenge may be, teachers usually overcome them because they are strong leaders of today's society. I think of teachers as my second parent not only because I'm with them eight hours five days a week; but also they encourage me to do bigger and better things in life.
- High School Senior
- 4 months ago