Overall Niche Grade
- College ReadinessA+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA
- Health & SafetyA-
- Resources & FacilitiesA-
Newport Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+192 Students
- B+90 Students
- A-78 Students
- A+54 Students
- A+50 Students
- B+47 Students
- A+40 Students
- A36 Students
- A+32 Students
- A+31 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.25 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.25 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.30 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.37 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on expenses per student, number of sports offered, and student and parent reviews.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.40 responses
- Very Good111
Newport's competitive environment helps you challenge yourself academically, and really prepares you for college. Half the teachers are good, and the other half either don't really know how to teach and/or have terrible personalities. Newport's clique problem and overpopulation can also be off-putting. The students here can all agree that the administration and counselors are often unhelpful and can even come off as rude and unwilling to do their job, except a few exceptions.
- 3 months ago
From clubs to athletics NHS has such wide variety it would be improbable that I could effectively express to the proper degree that--not much is left out and more clubs are always added. There are the fine arts (bands, orchestra, choir and drama), leadership interests (ASB Government, ASPEN, Link Crew, Student Leadership), there are clubs that lean towards the academic (Math Club, Physics Club, Robotics, Astronomy Club and the Tutor Club) and there is an assortment of clubs that include but are not limited to, Hunger Project, SEPIA, Schools For Schools, Knightlife (Student Newspaper), and Yearbook Club.
- High School Senior
- 7 months ago
There are lots of great opportunities at this school. Almost everyone can find their own sport or club to join. Cliques are inevitable BUT throughout my personal years at this school, the exclusive scenes has lessen a lot. This is due to awareness raised through the student government as well as Link Crew. Incoming freshmen needs to be taught to not be exclusive. There is a so call AP peer pressure but its really up to you to figure out how many AP classes you can take on top of other priorities. Students are very academically driven but will make time to socialize. Challenges may be the building itself. There aren't enough space to eat lunch in the cafeteria although upperclassmen usually go out to eat. The recent schedule change has made traffic after school unbearable for those who drive.
- High School Senior
- 4 months ago