Overall Niche Grade
- College ReadinessB+
- Clubs & ActivitiesB
- Health & SafetyA
- Resources & FacilitiesA-
2601 Rattler Rd Mccarty Ln
San Marcos, TX 78666
Data not available
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- Texas State University279Students
- University of Texas - Austin156Students
- Texas A&M University92Students
- University of Texas - San Antonio70Students
- St. Edward's University69Students
- Texas Tech University64Students
- University of North Texas64Students
- Austin Community College District59Students
- Texas Christian University59Students
- Baylor University47Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.23 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.31 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on expenses per student, number of sports offered, and student and parent reviews.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.37 responses
- Very Good107
San Marcos High School is full of opportunities for the students it has. SMHS is on a block schedule which means that there are 4 class periods a day for 90 minutes and an hour lunch and on Friday it has all 8 class periods for 45 minutes and an hour lunch. I really appreciate the Block schedule because the teachers give thorough instructions and they make sure that each student fully understands the topic. With our hour lunch students are able to go to clubs, work out, do homework, go to tutorials, and much more. We have many programs to help with your future, such as culinary arts program, venom program ( beauty salon) , Air Force JROTC, Instruct Education & Training, and many others, you can even graduate with a certificate for whatever program your in to help you find a job. San Marcos High School is the best school I've ever been to and I'm proud to say that I will graduate in 2017.
- 4 days ago
It's not the best school out there but it's not the worst. In fact, it is improving! We have laptops and tablets that teachers rent out for students in class. We are offered new classes to help students achieve their prospective goals and future occupations. Some students can't afford college so they go the other way about. Since our school is future career type of school, many students are helped via unique classes like culinary class or welding, as well as through the guide of our counselors. I love my history classes, especially AP World History that I took sophomore year. I learned about culture around the world. High school, I learned is way better than middle school in the history aspect. There is a mountain biking team that I don't believe most high school students get to experience. We are properly funded and we have multiple, hardworking practices after school. The school is even constructing bike lanes for us! I love that our school will help us in any way they can. Most clubs don't ask for help but if they did, I'm sure they could be funded as well. It is a matter of putting yourself up to the front and revealing your insights and dreams.
- High School Senior
- 12 months ago
The only reason I say this school is okay is because there are many more options as far as schooling. Being in band has made high school bearable enough and fun at times, but I'm not sure if I would choose to go to San Marcos highschool again. The teachers are great, but the students tend to be disrespectful to authority and other students. The school is unique in a sense that the San Marcos culture is everywhere in the school and students, San Marcos culture and social tendencies being either do something great, or skate through life without a care (this being good is bad in indeterminable).
- High School Junior
- 10 months ago