Overall Niche Grade
- College ReadinessA+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA
- Health & SafetyA-
- Resources & FacilitiesB-
West High School Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- University of Wisconsin277Students
- University of Minnesota - Twin Cities94Students
- Madison Area Technical College76Students
- University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee57Students
- Edgewood College44Students
- Northwestern University43Students
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor39Students
- Cornell University37Students
- Stanford University35Students
- University of California - Los Angeles34Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.22 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.35 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on expenses per student, number of sports offered, and student and parent reviews.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.36 responses
- Very Good103
It is the best public high school in Madison with an illustrious alumni including actors, authors, educators, and politicians. Past Wisconsin Governor Jim Doyle is a graduate of West High! They prepared me to succeed in college.
- Niche User
- 9 months ago
High school at West was, overall, a good experience for me. Life at West is truly proves the saying "you get out of it what you put in." If you put in time and effort in your classes, extra-curriculars, and sports, you will benefit greatly from your experience at West. Everyone here seems to find at-least one area they strive in by senior year- for a lot of my friends it was theater!
- Niche User
- Oct 20 2015
Besides the major sports like football, hockey and basketball, the other sports are over shadowed by them. The school spirit is great but only really seen during football and hockey games. It is extremely hard to get into sports at my school. We have so many kids as is that it makes it so a lot of kids get cut from the teams during try outs. The school is so big intact that the freshmen sports teams get 2 teams if there are too many kids that tried out. I know this because I tried out for volleyball my freshmen year and got cut because the 2 freshmen teams filled up so fast! And I wasn't the only one that got cut either!
- High School Senior
- Apr 7 2015